Magazine: Inverness & District
Inverness & District
The city and the surrounding area is now home to around 128,000 people and legend has it that in 1040, Macbeth, of Shakespeare fame, built his stronghold in Inverness.
In 1158 King David of Scotland awarded Inverness its charter as a Royal Burgh. Robert the Bruce seized the first of the city's five castles from English forces in 1307 and, in 1562, Mary Queen of Scots had the Governor of Inverness Castle hanged for refusing her entry to the Burgh.
In 1822, the spectacular Caledonian Canal was completed by Thomas Telford, linking Inverness to the west coast of Scotland. In 1921 Inverness Town House hosted a historic meeting of the British Cabinet - the only Cabinet meeting of the British Government ever held outside London.
A momentous day for Inverness came in 2001 when it was formally declared Scotland's newest city.
20,000 copies circulated to 38,000 readers in: Achnabat, Ardersier, Beauly, Cromarty, Daviot, Dingwall, Fortrose, Garve, Inchmore, Invermoriston, Muir of Ord, Munlochy, Strathpeffer, Tornagrain.